Thai Carrot and Coconut Soup
- 1 kilo carrots sliced
- 1½ cups onion diced
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste (in jar)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced vegetable stock powder
- 1½ litres water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce 43% less salt
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 x 375ml can evaporated light milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- Sauté carrots, onion and red curry paste in a boiler that has been generously coated with cooking spray, sauté carrots for 3 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except the milk and coconut essence. Bring soup to boil, lower heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add milk and coconut essence. Once boiled take off heat as evaporated milk can separate when over boiled then puree soup using either a food processor or stick blender.
- Pepper to taste.
Suitable to be frozen for 2-3 weeks.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVE
FAT TOTAL 1.1g
FAT SATURATED 0.5g
KILOJOULES 368 (cals 88)
GI RATING LOW
DIETITIAN’S TIP: A clever use of coconut essence and evaporated milk to give the flavour of coconut milk without the saturated fat.